You work out, you eat right. But to truly transform your health, take a long, cool look down your drinking straw. Because beverages could be to blame for flagging energy you feel, or pounds you have yet to lose.
What are the worst drinks for your body? Check out this list. Our national obsession with soda, energy drinks, fancy coffees, and other sugar-laden liquids is contributing to unprecedented rates of obesity and the onset of chronic disease, particularly Type II diabetes. Even diet sodas are detrimental, since artificial sweeteners raise insulin levels and lower blood pressure. This, in turn, stimulates hunger and moves existing calories into your fat cells.
So what should be your go-to drink? In a word, water! I first realized the power of water after the birth of my oldest son. I had gained 50 pounds during my pregnancy, and while I was breastfeeding, I noticed that the more water I drank, the more milk I produced and the quicker the weight melted off of me. The role that water played in weight loss became crystal clear.
Of the four pillars I introduce to Vibrant Living clients, water is the most immediate game changer in the 21-Day Action Plan. Literally, within 48 hours, people experience dramatic changes in their energy levels — by filling up their water bottles and properly hydrating their bodies. I recommend between 90 and 120 ounces of clean, filtered water every day.
I wrote a book — and devoted an entire chapter to water! Let me count the ways hydration powers healthy, vibrant living. Water …
- Is the big player in plasma, making up 90 percent of this fluid component of the blood. Skimp on H2O and your plasma gets thick and sluggish — and then it doesn’t deliver nutrients to your cells efficiently.
- Flushes toxins from your liver and vital organs, and it breaks down the bio-chemicals of the food we eat.
- Regulates your temperature, and revs your metabolism.
- Powers your brain, making you more productive, sharpening your memory and performance.
- Makes your skin look fantastic — plump, radiant and younger!
Get yourself a large, BPA free water bottle today. Mine holds a full 34 ounces, and looks as sleek as you will — when you start drinking water early and often everyday! Learn more about all four pillars of Vibrant Living in my book. And raise your glass to better health!